Sabtu, 28 April 2012

This tutorial started out with the following conversation:

Mom: "Audrey, we need to make you some new headbands."
Audrey: " Yea, with a big jewel right in the middle of my head."
Mom: "hmmmm. Maybe"
Audrey: "Like Jasmine!"

I was thinking of a headband more conducive to everyday wear. Compromise was a flower headband with a jewel that she could pick for the center. She picked a large pearl looking thing and I decided that it would look beautiful sitting in a bed of pleats. Enter the pleated flower tutorial...

Start with a large strip of fabric. Mine was 3 1/2 inches wide by 44 inches long. Fold the fabric in half lengthwise then start making your pleats.

Once you have pleated your entire length, you are ready to sew.  Make sure you sew with the pleats, not against them.
I sewed the majority of the pleated strip at a 1/4 inch seam and then about 5 inches before the strip ended I started making the seam larger so that when you roll the pleats, there is a portion that is shorter than the rest. Now roll it baby.
Using a needle and thread, stitch the flower together as you roll it.  Once you have your flower done, you can add your "jasmine jewel" or whatever you chose to add.


I made the brown and red flower at the beginning of the post a few months ago and added a clip and a pin to the back so that I could use it as a brooch or in my hair.  I really like it and it is probably the pin I wear the most.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan